In Bay Area, limits to book increases are mandated and administered through the Rent Board with a few exceptions:
1. New Construction: Mandated by condition law, all building built after June of 1979 are exempted
2. Subsidized Housing: for example HUD housing projects.
3. Dorms, monastery’s and nunnery’s
4. Residential Hotels: For those who have under 4 weeks of continuous tenancy.
How it operates
Base Rent: A landlord can boost the tenant’s base rent by a yearly allowable increase. This season its 2.2%. So, if your tenants rent was $1000, probably the most you are able to rise in 2009 is $22. The coming year the rent board will declare the utmost allowable increase in 2010. There are more kinds of rent increases for example capital enhancements, elevated operating and maintenance expenses and utility costs, however they need rent board approval.
Managing Declining Rents & GRM The secret now’s to respect the popularity, keep your unit occupied and preserve equity. Here’s the issue:You’ve got a vacancy or perhaps a recent tenant uses a rent reduction and also the unit rents for $1500. But similar units are actually opting for $1400. Its bad enough to need to forgo $100 per month, but when decrease your base rent you might be having to pay for your lengthy following the market has retrieved, possibly even ten or twenty years.
Here’s why: lets assume your base rent was $1500 also it becomes obvious you need to reduce it by $100. At $1400 (presuming this year’s maximum annual increase of two.2%) it could take you 3 years just to return to $1500. One lower year affects the whole future earnings stream if you are using a lesser the bottom rent to support new market realities.
Preserving GRM Maintaining your greater base rent in tough occasions
1. Attractive Gifts: Keep your rent at $1500, but offer gift cards or any other amenities. A rent reduction to $1400 is really a $1200 annual loss. Maybe a deal of the new Dell notepad ($350) is of interest enough. If the labored, you’d have stored your base rent at $1500 and saved $ 850 this season. In forward years, rent board increases could be according to $1500 and never $1400.
2. Skip per month: Offer 30 days free rent. Tenants are available to this also it enables you to definitely preserve your $1500 base rent. Never allow it to be the very first several weeks rent, because you can end up having a tenant that does not pay within the second month either and you possess a squatter.
3. Enhancements: An excellent idea would be to offer amenities that will raise the worth of the system. Consider amenities tenants can’t take together for example: stacking washer/dryers, microwaves or dishwashers. Tenants do such as the added convenience also it adds value towards the unit. A great win-win choice.
4. Increase Market Depth: Consider pets. You are able to reduce risk by requesting a dog deposit additionally towards the security deposit. Don’t exceed 2 x rent for unfurnished or thrice rent for furnished rooms rules for Bay Area.
5. Section 8: Section 8 applicants are screened through the US Govtand partial rent is providedis supplied by HUD. The remove is you can enlarge your pool of potential renters should you consider section 8 programs.
6. Advertise: Increase your marketing presence by utilizing Craigslist And Ebay as well as an internet listing company.
7. Employ a property management company: Whether it saved you simply 30 days, due to their leasing expertise or visibility, you’d be in front of the game.